Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Hormonal imbalance?

 angela387 - Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:05 pm

I have anger issues. I don't yell, scream, etc. I'm never violent. However, I seem to constently get mad for no real reason over stupid things. I will be fine one minute and then next I will be in a rage. My heart starts beating fast, stomach gets in knots, cold sweat, noises intensify etc. Next, I can be fine again. There doesn't seem to be anything in particular that sets me off so I don't think a therapist would do me any good. Something that made me mad 5 minutes ago doesn't now and vice versa. It seems to be happening alot more lately. Today my stomach has been in knots all day and I feel alittle lightheaded, but nothing happened. I do work in customer service, however it doesn't just happen when I get a mean customer and sometimes the mean customer doesn't even make me mad. I really don't understand and it's really starting to bother me and my family. I get snappy with my customers too and that is definately not good for my job. My mother says that I should go to the doctor, but I don't want him/her to think I am overreacting or wanting attention etc. I feel foolish about it and I know it's dumb, but it really is starting to have a big effect on my life. I have tried the "counting to 10", St John's Wort etc but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions on an herb for this or is this something that I really should see a doctor about? Could I possibly have some kind of hormone imbalance?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:49 pm

User avatar Dear angel,
I think you should see a therapist. The mood swings may turn out to be a result of a recent change e.g. moving to a new house, new job.. etc.. It may also result from the exact opposite (a static life with many unfulfilled hopes). The fact that you have a sister with bipolar manic depression does increase your risk of mental disease by about 10%.
A hormonal imbalance would usually present with a lot of other problems besides mood swings. Even if at an early stage, hormonal imbalance would surely become evident sooner or later with more alarming symptoms which can them promptly be treated, so I would'nt worry about missing out on this diagnosis.
Seeking the advice of a good psychiatrist is probably the best way to get better.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us