Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology AnswersBack to Endocrinology Answers List
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.
Date of last update: 10/17/2017.
Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics
Question: Low Temperature
|KevinC - Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:07 am|
I was wondering if someone could answer a question I have about low body temperature. I've been going to my doctor for about a month now dealing with problems with facial pressure, headaches, ear pain, eye pain, etc.. My doctor was not entirely sure if the problem was allergies (which I have pretty bad) or a possible inner ear or sinus infection. I have always had pretty bad sinuses and I live in The Ohio River Valley in Louisville, which is known for bad allergy sources. He put me on a week's course of Baixin about two weeks ago. I've head a head CT scan which came up normal. My blood has been tested several times, including blood counts, thryroid, and immunology tests. They all came back normal, as did a urinalysis they did for possible infections. My question is regarding my temperature. Early on I had mild possible fever with temperature being around a degree higher. For the last three weeks or so my temperature is usually always around 97.3-97.9 degrees. I've read somewhere if the body is fighting allergies or is stressed this can be normal. My doctor doesn't seem to worry about it. It's weird though, because unless I'm very ill I almost always register at a the regular 98.6 line. Thanks in advance.
|Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:11 am|
97.3-97.9 would be considered a normal body temperature.
|Coal - Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 am|
I went and had a biopsy on two nodules. One came back beign and the other non-diagnostic so I had the biopsy done again and again it just came back non-diagnostic. My endocrinologist has given me two choices. To have part of my thyroid removed so it can be tested for cancer or to wait another 2 months and have another ultrasound to see if it's still growing. Had ultrasound done last June and it showed both had grown slightly. I've been on Synthroid for almost 3 years now and am concerned about my metobolism if thyroid is partically removed since I have ulcerative colitis too (and I try to keep my weight normal so colitis doesn't act up.) I don't know what to do? The endocrinologist said the downside of removing only part of the thyroid is if it is cancerous, then they will need to go back in and remove the entire thyroid...
|Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:12 am|
That would be a difficult decision in which only you can make. I can certainly understand your hesitance with the possibility of facing two surgeries verses one. Do you have any symptoms, hoarse voice, difficulty swallowing, or speaking etc.? An ultrasound should identify if there is continued enlargement but 2 months, if the areas are suspicious, seems like an extended period of time..........
|| Check a doctor's response to similar questions|
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.