Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: Enlarged Thyroid

FutureMD - Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:23 pm

I recently saw an Endocrinologist and was told that my thyroid is twice as large as normal; when I received the results of my blood test I was told that my results were normal. I would like to know if there is any treatment available to decrease the size of my thyroid. I would also like to know if the increased size of my thyroid could lead to any long term damage. Lastly, I would like to know if it is possible that hypothyroidism could go undetected by blood tests considering that I gained 20 pounds in one month. Also, could an abnormally functioning adrenal gland cause the same symptoms of weight gain? Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Have a great day!
 spudsmacm - Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:05 pm

Yes, to all your questions. I t is known that thyroid function tests can be normal and an individual still have thyroid disease. I have found many internet sites regarding this issue, because I was having this problem. As I have written on other postings, I have just found out I have a suspicious thyroid nodule, even though I was told my thyroid function tests were normal. If you think something is wrong, then by all means do something. Don't wait until the numbers are " not normal"

You need to see another endocrinologist if you are having symptoms, like I had to do. My endocrinologist told me the same thing, but did not listen to my symptoms, my body was not normal , even though those numbers were "normal"