Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Question: hormones and epitaxis

jodster - Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:57 am

Hello, I have written on here in the past about the severe bleeds that I experienced the day after my first delivery and 7 months in to my 2nd pregnancy. I think that you can look them up, they were under the OB section. Anyhow, after seeing a couple of ENT specialists the only conclusion they can come up with is that the bleeding was from te spenopalatine artery and had something to do with hormones because of both occurances being during pregnnacy. I have had a tubal under advice from my doctors because the first time it hapenned it was very severe and the second was almost fatal. The specialists have said that I could go to another hospital for an angiogram which could perhaps find and fix the problem but in weighing the risks and the fact that I will no longer be pregnant. I have opted not to. They are hopeful that it will not happen again as am I as you can imagine. My questions to you, since you are experienced in teh area of hormones are 1/ have you ever seen this(posterior bleeds lasting a week requiring transfusions during pregnancy) 2/could the hormones in menopause trigger it again or are those hormones less 3/ is it possible that the body goes thru changing hormonal cycles. When I stopped taking oral contraceptives after 10 years I had some minor bleeds...exactly 15 montsh later I had a week of the severe ones and exactly 15 montsh after that I was in another week with them again. We are almost up to 15 months again and of course I am a bit leary lol!!!! Thank you for your time and any thing that you feel would give me some more ideas to understand this would be appreciated. My doctors here were absolutely wonderful but do not have the knowledge in hormones that you may have, Thanks in advance.
 jodster - Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:20 pm

Is there no answers for my questions???? :( Maybe it just slipped down too far!!!! :)