Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome

 joann725 - Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:05 pm

i am quite alarmed.
i had my menarche when i was 11, and it was normal for 4 years.
my irregular periods started when i was 16 years old. i would go on for 3-5 months without having it, and then have it on the 6th month. the longest i went on not having it is right now, almost 18 months.
i am 20-years old, Asian, 5'6" and very overweight. i have tried losing weight (and i still am on the process of losing some more) since my mother's friend who's an endocrinologist told me losing weight is the key element to having your hormones well-balanced. i wanted to have my ovaries checked and my endo told me the choice was through a vaginal or a rectal examination.
i was freaked out. i thought a mere ultrasound can do it. i didn't push through with that exam. (blame the virginity stigma...)
i still don't believe i have PCOS, because it occurs mostly on women who are of child-bearing age. i was 16, and i believe 16 is NOT a child-bearing age. (although, yes, you can get pregnant at 16)
oh well. i need enlightenment. should i proceed with the check-up? i read that there's A LOT of check-ups to be done to determine PCOS and rule out other illnesses/hormonal imbalances. i'm still scared.
however, the thought of infertility and not being able of conception scares me to death too.
please help. it will gladly be appreciated.
 sneakerlady - Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:14 am

I would strongly suggest asking your doctor for a complete work up for your menstrual irregularities. PCOS is a definite possibility. As part of that workup, you should be tested for type 2 diabetes. Women with PCOS have an increased rate of diabetes. If you have PCOS, then being treated for it will make it easier for you to lose weight.
As for the worry about infertility, if you do have PCOS and have problems getting pregnant, then there are pretty good treatments to induce ovulation and allow you to get pregnant.
If you are worried about the ultrasound, I would consider getting a thorough physical exam and lab work and you could postpone getting the ultrasound until you are more comfortable with it.
You say you think it can't be PCOS because you have to be childbearing age and 16 isn't childbearing age. Childbearing age only means physically capable of child bearing-- not when it is good to have children. One classic sign of PCOS is to have normal periods for a period of time and for them to then become irregular.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us