Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: TSH level

neen - Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:17 pm

My mother is hypothyroid and had a goiter removed 30 years ago. One of my sisters is hypothyroid also and on medication. At my physical this year I asked my doctor do test my thyoid levels, and my test came back as 4.90.
He didn't say anything about it, so I assumed it was normal. However, after more research, it looks like it might be a little high.
I'm 44 and have gained 10 pounds in the past couple of years, despite a rigorous exercise program.
Please advise.
 Monique - Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:15 pm

Hello. I'm 25 yrs old, 115 lbs, height 5 -04, hypothyroid. I have had polyuria and polydipsia for the last year. I 'm drinking 1 gal + 1liter of water every day. I take only water as beverage, I don't drink anything else. I have lost 5 lbs in the last month without doing diet. Even at nights after I take that much water, I still feel thirsty. When I don't drink that much water I really feel thirsty the next day. I was on Synthyroid 100 mcg on august. In sept my Dr. Endocrinologyst changed my med to 75mcg for a month, then he changed to half of that 37.5 mcg (I'm on this dose now and it's been 1 month). He said my pituitary and other glands and things in my body are OK (he took osmolality test , TSH, vasopressin). I went to see the urologist in sept or august to know what was wrong with me. He said my kidney was OK, and sent me a sulfa antibiotic because there was pus in my urine and I had itching and discharge and burning while urinating. The tests showed I did not have an UTI but I took the sulfa anyways. He sent something for my bladder which effects I could not stand and I stop taking that. I have not stop taking my thyroid medicine, but I do not know if my thyroid is causing the polydipsia, the polyuria, maybe an infection that could not be seen in lab tests.
Another :?: is that I am not feeling better at all since they have change my synthyroid dosages. I'm still very fatigued, I have muscle pain, dry skin, itchy scalp, dry hair, no energy, and drowsiness during the day. The only thing is that I do not have the headaches I had before. But every 30 min I go to the restroom and I usually wake up once in the middle of the night to urinate. It's a nightmare to live with this! I have no energy to do my activities, and believe me exercise has not help me much.
Besides of all of this I get really depress before, during and after my period and during the rest of the monthe my mood is OK. I am seeing a councelor now.
Do you think I am goig to ever get better? Is there something you think I can do?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us