Medical Specialty >> Endocrinology

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/17/2017.

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Tumor HCG? Please help fast...

pjsb - Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:53 pm

I recently had a hormone profile done and they found my testosterone level to be a little low (213), so I made an appointment with an endo. However, they also tested something called 'tumor hcg' and all they said was that its 'less than 2'. I came on the internet to see what these numbers meant and right now I am under the impression that it has a relation to testicular cancer. Can somebody please clarify this for me and what this means?? Thank you...
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:45 pm

Dear Pjsb,

I don't know why you've got that impression?What symptoms do you have that made your doctors test these hormones?The B-HCG is normal or below normal doesn't count as testicular cancer...If you want to screen for it, you can simply do a scrotal Ultrasound.

Best Regards,
 pjsb - Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:32 pm

I asked for a full hormone profile since I am 21 and I want something to guage how my test decreases as I get older. I also had slightly high cholesterol (241) when I had a lipid profile done, and I have high blood pressure. I should not have these things considering how I eat and how active I am. After doing some research on the net I found that high cholesterol and blood pressure can be caused by low test, as well as gyno (I have developed a minor case, but it may be from puberty and just more noticeable since I have put on 60 lbs of solid mass in the last 3 years from working out and my pecs are just pushing it out). I have never done steroids or taken anything to tamper with my hormones. So I am just looking for answers as to why its so low. Can a varicocele cause test levels to be low? Its hard to tell but it might feel like I may have one, and my testicles MAY have atrophied a little (its hard to tell since pretty much every other part on me has grown from my powerlifting hobby, and they are just proportionally smaller now). I have to wait until Feb of 2006 to see an endo, since they are so hard to get an appt with.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:01 am

Well, I think you'd better do a scrotal ultrasound with duplex... to exclude varicocele or a tumor (i doubt) until you consult your endocrinologist. Take it easy with lipids though...and try doing cario work out rather than lifting weights all the time.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us