Submitted by Amer Hussien, M.D & Hesham Al-Inany M.D
DES-related Mullerian abnormalities
Neoplastic : Vaginal clear cell adenocarcinoma in 0.14-1.4 % of exposures and small cell carcinoma of the cervix and CIN
1. Vagina and cervix (1/4 of cases) :
- Transverse septa, vaginal adenosis, circumferential ridge in the vagina and cervix and cervical collars
2. Uterine (2/3 of cases) :
Smaller cavities, T-shaped cavities, and shortened upper uterine segments . About 1/2 of uterine defects are associated with cervical defects specially a hypoplastic cervix
3. Tubal : Shortening , narrowing and absence of fimbriae .
Reproductive performance :
- Lower conception rates
- Increased incidence of abortion : due to structural anomalies and cervical incompetence
- Increased incidence of ectopic pregnancy : due to tubal and uterine anomalies
- Infertility : due to cervical hypoplasia and atresia
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.