Forum Name: Fertility

Question: short light frequent periods and infertility

profbaby - Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:04 am

I am 39 and healthy and am at a good weight. Full bloodwork says I am in great shape. Don't smoke, drink and excercise regularly but not excessively. I have my period every 22-24 days (usually dead on at 23). My period only lasts from 2-4 days with only one even slightly heavy day. I have been trying to get pregant for six months unsuccessfully. The ovulation kits show regular ovulation on day 9-11 every month. My periods were heavier and longer (5 days) with my copper IUD (also more cramping) but before that on the pill also v. light. I have v. mild cramps and had no problems with the IUD ever. Would clomid help my situation? Is it low progesterone?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:38 pm

The intra-uterine contraceptive device (IUCD) – or coil – is a small plastic or copper device used to prevent fertilization.
IUD can be left for up to ten years as long as there is regular follow up and no local problems occur.

The fear of getting and spread of infection through the IUD although small is highly considered. Most of doctors check for any possible existing infection before they fit an IUD. The risk of spread of infection into the uterus and the fallopian tubes causing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) which result in infertility is of utmost concern. For this reason, doctors advise women to be on regular follow up and to report them with any symptoms suggestive of infection like pelvic pain or any abnormal vaginal discharge for prompt management.

Clomid and other hormonal approaches are given when there is ovulation defect that is confirmed by many investigations including the hormonal profile.

In you case I advise you to follow with your doctor and to start investigations to exclude any possibility of tubal block or uterine cause rather than a hormonal treatment since you are ovulating normally and have no menstrual irregulatory, so it is more logic to check for local problems.