Forum Name: Fertility

Question: pelvic inflammatory disease

Kittens - Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:44 pm

Hi. I recently have visited my gyno, and was told that I had something showing up on my PAP smear, that there was some sort of bacterial growth. So I was put on antibiotics, for the BV. But it isn't my first time, I seem to get it often. I'm worried that this may lead to pelvic inflammatory disease, in my future. I'm 22 and I want to have children in the future. Is there any way that I can prevent pelvic inflammatory disease? How can I protect myself from becoming infertile? Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:41 am

Pap smear is not routinely used to diagnose bacterial vaginosis being less sensitive, however it is an adequate diagnostic test when it is positive being highly specific.

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) results from infections of the female genital tract that spread from the cervix to the uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries, and the surrounding peritoneum.

PID results in many symptoms like:
- pain and tenderness in the lower abdomen,
- vaginal discharge with bad smell,
- pain during sex etc

The risk for PID increases in cases of sexual contact with multiple partners as well as unsafe sexual habits.

Physical examination and investigations are the only way to reach diagnosis. Starting antibiotic treatment immediately and for a period of two weeks is mandatory to prevent possible complications that include tubal damage.