Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: pelvic inflammatory disease

Kittens - Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:44 pm

Hi. I recently have visited my gyno, and was told that I had something showing up on my PAP smear, that there was some sort of bacterial growth. So I was put on antibiotics, for the BV. But it isn't my first time, I seem to get it often. I'm worried that this may lead to pelvic inflammatory disease, in my future. I'm 22 and I want to have children in the future. Is there any way that I can prevent pelvic inflammatory disease? How can I protect myself from becoming infertile? Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:41 am

User avatar Hello,

Pap smear is not routinely used to diagnose bacterial vaginosis being less sensitive, however it is an adequate diagnostic test when it is positive being highly specific.

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) results from infections of the female genital tract that spread from the cervix to the uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries, and the surrounding peritoneum.

PID results in many symptoms like:
- pain and tenderness in the lower abdomen,
- vaginal discharge with bad smell,
- pain during sex etc

The risk for PID increases in cases of sexual contact with multiple partners as well as unsafe sexual habits.

Physical examination and investigations are the only way to reach diagnosis. Starting antibiotic treatment immediately and for a period of two weeks is mandatory to prevent possible complications that include tubal damage.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us