Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Can i ever have children

simone - Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:32 pm

my doctor told me that i have PCO..he never really explain what it was..i notice that i have extra facial hair..n i was wondering how do i get rid of it..but most importantly i would like to know what are my chances of having kids...thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:25 pm

Polycystic ovary syndrome -PCOS- is a condition in which females have problems in their menstrual cycle, fertility, hormones including insulin production, heart, blood vessels, and physical appearance.

PCOS is known to affect 5 to 10% of women. It is a hormonal disorder, primarily in the insulin/oestrogen status.

Cause of PCOS are not known yet.
females with PCOS experience any of the following symptoms:
menstrual irregularity or absence of menstruation,
irregular vaginal bleeding,
pelvic pain
fertility problems
increased growth of hair
acne, oily skin, or dandruff
obesity
type 2 diabetes
high cholesterol
high blood pressure

Most women with PCO do not need medications to become pregnant, even in the presence of some menstrual irregularities. Medications for those who fail to get pregnant should be prescribed by specialists when indicated.

Women who has PCO should be followed regularly by their doctors during pregnancy to control problems like elevated blood sugar and blood pressure.