Question: Bumps on glans of my penis

TooHornyToo - Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:02 pm

I've had them for a good 10+ years. I have never been able to identify them as they are unlike any pictures I've seen. They look similar, but smaller, to the cysts some guys end up with on their shaft, but they are all along the edge of my head. (white, slightly petruding) I got them before I ever had sex, so that rules that out; They also don't look like any STD I've seen. I've had a physical since I got them and the doctor never said anything.

They don't hurt. They will rarely pop (I've gotten a few from time to time, but they come back). They look nothing like pearly penile paupules - They take up ~2x more surface area, but don't petrude as much. They are further in on the head, not so neatly arranged, and there isn't nearly as many of them.

I thought for a while they might be warts and got some wart remover, which had no effect on them at all. however, it did put a scab across the head of my penis for a while. :) I've taken antibiotics for other ailments that had no effect on them. However, I've noticed they do become smaller if I apply hydrocortisone cream on them. (they go back to normal when I quit). They also get a lot better with tretinoin cream, but I always end up having to quit with it because it makes my nutsack and shaft very rashy, crusty, itchy and painful. I have no foreskin.

I can try to get a picture of it if anyone wants to take a guess. I'm not going to the doctor for it anytime soon because they are just aesthetically unpleasing, and I don't have the money for it right now. Any ideas what they could be? Thanks
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:48 pm

I wouldn't rule everything out the way you did. They do sound alot like they could be pearly penile papules. These small papules are best described as embryological remnants. As you said they are usually located around the circumference of the crown of the glans penis. They are multiple in number and small (about 1-3mm).

They usually appear as yellow-white, domelike papules arranged in a row of multiple-grouped lesions along the corona and sulcus of the glans in adolescent males. That is the typical presentation, but by no means the only one.

They typically develop in men aged 20 to 40, and around 10 per cent of all men are affected. Presentation may occur in males in their second to fifth decades. Rare cases in children as young as 11 years have been reported. They may be mistaken for warts, are not infectious (not an STD), and not related to personal hygiene.

They require no treatment. Some patients however, may request therapy to alleviate anxiety or for aesthetic reasons. Ablation using carbon dioxide laser, electrodesiccation with curettage, and excisional surgery reportedly have successfully eliminated lesions. Mixed results have been noted with cryotherapy.

You cannot rule out being seen by a doctor. There is no replacement to a direct clinical examination. If the doctor feels that he needs to confirm the diagnosis a biopsy may be made which would be definitive. That would ultimately cure the problem and save you the trouble it can cause you.