Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Rash

janny - Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:29 pm

Hi, i have noticed only in the past few days, i have a rather red penis end, it is also losing quit abit of skin, could some1 PLEASE help me out? i really don't want to go to the doctor but can some1 help?? thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:52 pm

User avatar Hello,

I hope you are feeling better by now. Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis commonly seen in uncircumscribed men. It usually causes redness and/or a blotchy rash on the glans, sometimes with a discharge. Balanitis involving the foreskin or prepuce is termed balanoposthitis. The most common complication of balanitis is phimosis, or inability to retract the foreskin from the glans penis.

A specific type of balanitis is termed balanitis xerotica obliterans is the term given to lichen sclerosus et atrophicus when it involves the glans or prepuce.

This benign disorder of unknown, possibly autoimmune, etiology is observed in uncircumcised males and is an established cause of phimosis and meatal stenosis.

Typically following an insidious course, it is associated with scarring and fissure formation. The clinical presentation is that of a well-defined, flattened, pale gray-to-white/ivory patch that looks like wrinkled cigarette paper or roughened lichenoid scale with prominent margins, usually involving the ureteral meatus. Often, the advanced lesion is firm due to the underlying dermal fibrosis. Unlike the pruritus associated with vulvar lesions, male lesions often are asymptomatic, although sometimes they itch or burn.

Treatment of this condition with corticosteroid immunosuppressive regimens improves the outcome dramatically. Often, circumcision is required for the treatment for foreskin lesions.

Given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us