Question: Swollen penis shaft with a bump

sskiller88 - Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:53 pm

Kinda embarasing so I will make this short. About 4 days ago I noticed a small bump on my penis that looked like a pimple. So I make the mistake of squeezing it. Well the next day it was swollen and hurting pretty bad and had an inch long hard spot under the skin. Well today the hard spot is still there and the scab came off and on the inside it is white like puss, but does not come out. I really have no clue what it is. The spot is about half a centimeter wide. I've looked up everything. Thanks for the help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:12 pm

Hair follicles and sebaceous (sweat) glands are normally found on the penile shaft, particularly on the ventral surface (underside). They may be infected, trichomycosis in the case of sweat glands and folliculitis in the case of hair follicles.

They may be visible as small nodules or might only be felt as small lumps in the skin. They are yellow/black or red nodules on the hair shafts in the inguinal region. Nodules are often on the scrotum and occasionally on the base of the shaft of the penis. They may contain pus in them. The hallmark is that they will have a hair arising from them that reveals their true nature. These lesions can be associated with erythema and itching. Superinfection with other dermatophytes has been noted.

Given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis and topical antibiotic therapy if required.