Question: Masturbating while sleeping

md42 - Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:12 am

I am a 43year old male, sexually active, and my wife says I masterbate in my sleep, she swares I am awake. She also says sometimes I make the movements like I am having sex with someone in my sleep. When I wake up I don't rember doing anything, no dream, nothing. She thinks that I am lying to her and that I am doing it on purpose and its about to cost me my marrage. Does anyone know of a place I can get some help with this?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:23 am

I have searched the literature for your problem and you may be interested to read an article which I have referred to below[1], that contains a review of several case reports of abnormal sexual behaviour during sleep. You can use Google to search for article which is available online for free when it was last reviewed. Some cases were associated with masturbation, sometimes violently and had no recollection of their behaviour when they woke up.

You should seek consultation of a neuro-psychiatrist.

References:
==========
1. Christian Guilleminault, et al. Atypical Sexual Behavior During Sleep. Psychosomatic Medicine 64:328-336 (2002).