Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Masturbating while sleeping

md42 - Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:12 am

I am a 43year old male, sexually active, and my wife says I masterbate in my sleep, she swares I am awake. She also says sometimes I make the movements like I am having sex with someone in my sleep. When I wake up I don't rember doing anything, no dream, nothing. She thinks that I am lying to her and that I am doing it on purpose and its about to cost me my marrage. Does anyone know of a place I can get some help with this?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:23 am

User avatar Hello,

I have searched the literature for your problem and you may be interested to read an article which I have referred to below[1], that contains a review of several case reports of abnormal sexual behaviour during sleep. You can use Google to search for article which is available online for free when it was last reviewed. Some cases were associated with masturbation, sometimes violently and had no recollection of their behaviour when they woke up.

You should seek consultation of a neuro-psychiatrist.

Best regards.

References:
==========
1. Christian Guilleminault, et al. Atypical Sexual Behavior During Sleep. Psychosomatic Medicine 64:328-336 (2002).

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us