Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Possible Pregnancy, Late Period After Really Heavy Bleed !

bronze - Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:44 am

Hiya i am new to this site and was just woundering if any one would be able to help me, last month i have a very heavy bleed, the blood was bright red and lots of it, i went up to my local a&e and they didnt seem to worried and sent me home and told me to go to the doctors the next day if i was stil bleeding aot. The next day i went to my doctors as i was still bleeding bad and they gave me some tablets to take to stop the bleeding, i carnt remember the name of them but i no they began with a N. I only took them for 3 days and everything returned to normal, now 5 weeks on my period is late by 9days, me and my partner are having unprotected sex as we are trying for another baby, so i bought a pregnancy test yesterday and it was negative, but i am having no feelings at all that my period is on its way, am also not having any pregnancy symptoms, other than a slight feelin of cramp now and again, i don't no weather or not to go and buy another test or to just wait and see, but i need to no asap really due to my work as it can involve alot of heavy lifting. Any advice would be great thanks alot
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:05 pm

A delay of the menstrual cycle in women who have regular menstrual cycles and practice unprotected sex, should be tested for pregnancy. Although you have mentioned (a sporadic event) of excessive vaginal bleeding, that was controlled immediately, I would suggest you to do a pregnancy test to exclude pregnancy. If negative then this could be related to other cause of irregular menstrual cycle and should be investigated properly.

A pregnancy test is a test that examine for a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) that is positive when women are pregnant. The test can be done using blood or urine sample.

However, a blood test can tell if the woman is pregnant or not in term of few days (6-8 days) from ovulation and fertilization, this means beofre even a missed period. The test can give a clear answer for pregnancy (yes to be pregnant or not) , as well as an idea about the pregnancy duration in weeks by a quantitative analysis.

Testing for urine on the other hand, is better done one week after a missed period. One negative result (especially soon after a missed period) is not enough to exclude pregnancy and the test should be repeated there after or blood test is done. Some antibiotics and contraceptive pills interfere with the test and should be avoided.

So, a negative blood test for B-HCG means non preganant, while a negative urine test needs either to be repeated or to be confirmed by a blood test.