Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: sex and your period

leslier - Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:43 pm

i have 2 questions, first is their any medical reason that i should not have sex during my menstrual period. i am 36 years old and would like to have sex during my period however my husband feels it would be a problem. my other question is whether there is any medical problem if i shave my pubic area completely, i find the hair more of a nuisance, also when i go for my next gyne appt. should i let the hair grow or is it acceptable to go to the doctors shaved. thank you in advance
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:33 pm

User avatar There is no medical reason not to have sex during your period, it is just a personal preference, as it can be messy.If you choose to have sex during your period, lying down( woman on bottom) can slow the blood flow. Also, putting a towel down on the bed helps.

Shaving the pubic region is also a personal preference, there is no medical reason not to shave the pubic region, keeping the area groomed is cleaner. You do not need to let the hair grow before a gynecological apt.
 leslier - Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:30 pm

thank you so much for the advice

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us