Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: sex and your period

leslier - Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:43 pm

i have 2 questions, first is their any medical reason that i should not have sex during my menstrual period. i am 36 years old and would like to have sex during my period however my husband feels it would be a problem. my other question is whether there is any medical problem if i shave my pubic area completely, i find the hair more of a nuisance, also when i go for my next gyne appt. should i let the hair grow or is it acceptable to go to the doctors shaved. thank you in advance
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:33 pm

User avatar There is no medical reason not to have sex during your period, it is just a personal preference, as it can be messy.If you choose to have sex during your period, lying down( woman on bottom) can slow the blood flow. Also, putting a towel down on the bed helps.

Shaving the pubic region is also a personal preference, there is no medical reason not to shave the pubic region, keeping the area groomed is cleaner. You do not need to let the hair grow before a gynecological apt.
 leslier - Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:30 pm

thank you so much for the advice

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us