Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Is it possible?

whiz - Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:48 pm

My husband and I decided last month to try to have a baby. Since approx. ten days after we had sex, I have been feeling sick and throwing up after every night time meal. It's not normal sickness either, it's like after I eat, my food expands about 30 minutes later and I have eaten way too much which causes me to throw up. I have been extremely tired lately and my husband noticed that my boobs appeared bigger. I was certain that I was pregnant. I am now three days late for my period and I have always started on the 28th day as far back as I can remember. I went to the doctor to test and they thought they saw a pink line but wasn't certain. They followed with a blood test which turned out to be negative. Is there any chance that I am pregnant? If not, what's wrong with me? Could I want it so bad that I'm causing symptoms? Please help.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:56 pm

A pregnancy test is a test that examine for a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) that is positive when women are pregnant. The test can be done using blood or urine sample.

However, a blood test can tell if the woman is pregnant or not in term of few days (6-8 days) from ovulation and fertilization, this means beofre even a missed period. The test can give a clear answer for pregnancy (yes to be pregnant or not) , as well as an idea about the pregnancy duration in weeks by a quantitative analysis.

Testing for urine on the other hand, is better done one week after a missed period. One negative result (especially soon after a missed period) is not enough to exclude pregnancy and the test should be repeated there after or blood test is done. Some antibiotics and contraceptive pills interfere with the test and should be avoided.

So, a negative blood test for B-HCG means non preganant, while a negative urine test needs either to be repeated or to be confirmed by a blood test.