Question: veiny left testicle, please help.

Questions - Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:28 am

I'm 15. I have noticed that my left testicle seems have soft veins all around it. It also seems to be a bit smaller than the right. The veins are noticeable by sight. There seems to be a tiny bump on the back. Should I see a doctor?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:54 am

It is most likely that you have a varicocoele, which is a mass of enlarged veins.

A varicocoele can develop in one testicle or both, but in about 85% of cases it develops in the left testicle. Incidence of varicocoele is highest in men between the ages of 15 and 25. It may cause an ache in the testicle, a sensation of heaviness, shrinkage of the affected testicle and visibly enlarged veins. The last two symptoms are admitted.

Due to the effect a varicocoele can have on male infertility, you should be examined by a urologist for confirmation of the diagnosis and further management.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine