Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: veiny left testicle, please help.

Questions - Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:28 am

I'm 15. I have noticed that my left testicle seems have soft veins all around it. It also seems to be a bit smaller than the right. The veins are noticeable by sight. There seems to be a tiny bump on the back. Should I see a doctor?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:54 am

It is most likely that you have a varicocoele, which is a mass of enlarged veins.

A varicocoele can develop in one testicle or both, but in about 85% of cases it develops in the left testicle. Incidence of varicocoele is highest in men between the ages of 15 and 25. It may cause an ache in the testicle, a sensation of heaviness, shrinkage of the affected testicle and visibly enlarged veins. The last two symptoms are admitted.

Due to the effect a varicocoele can have on male infertility, you should be examined by a urologist for confirmation of the diagnosis and further management.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us