Question: Swollen penis

pheonix - Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:13 pm

Hello staff,

I am a 18 yr old and a virgin. Last night, about 18 hours ago, I decided to masturbate, which I do 2 to 3 times a week. It took me about an hour & a half to two hours until ejaculation and everything was perfectly normal up until then. After I had ejaculated I noticed that my penis and my foreskin or perhaps just the foreskin had swollen up considerebly, mainly towards the end, although the swelling continues down the shaft to just past the half way point. There is no pain at all and it has not affected my uriantion. It looks to me as if blood has gatehered in the corpus spongiosum or the urethra and stayed there. I am not sure if the bulbus area is slowly expanding, but I do not think it is. I am very worried about this as the state of my penis looks extremely alarming.

Please notify me as soon as possible as to what this could be and what I should do?
Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Kind regards,
FP.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:40 am

I hope you are doing well by now. Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis commonly seen in uncircumscribed men. It usually causes redness and/or a blotchy rash on the glans, sometimes with a discharge. Balanitis involving the foreskin or prepuce is termed balanoposthitis. The most common complication of balanitis is phimosis, or inability to retract the foreskin from the glans penis.

Balanoposthitis may have any of multiple bacterial and fungal origins. Complex infections also have been well documented. These often are due to a poorly retractile foreskin and poor hygiene that leads to colonization and overgrowth.

Anaerobic organisms have been associated with the diagnosis, although in most cases, the patient is treated empirically and a specific organismal etiology is not obtained. Candidal infection appears to be the most common cause of disease. The condition in older adult men often has other etiologies, including intertrigo; irritant dermatitides; and candidal, viral, or fungal infections. Treatment centers on improved hygiene and circumcision, if needed.

Given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis.