Question: undescended testicle

leslier - Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:23 am

my question concerns my husband. recently his parents moved to an apt. and while cleaning out old records gave my husband a file of old medical records of his. in this file was a report from the school doctor from the first grade which reported he had an undescended right testicle. my husband only has one testicle but was told when younger he had the other removed. when i questioned his mother she said that it was never removed or treated. he is now 50 years old and has fathered 2 adult children so fertility was not an issue, however should something be done now? how did the doctor know which testicle was missing? our family doctor is a young female and while very good, i don't thing he will discuss this with her. should i talk with her? also when erect my husband's penis seems a little smaller than other mens,this has never been a problem with me, but could this be related to the undescended testicle
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:09 am

I hope your husband is feeling well.

There really is not much for him to do.

The most common problems associated with undescended testicles are testicular neoplasm, subfertility, testicular torsion and inguinal hernia.

The incidence of testicular cancer among men with an undescended testicle is approximately one in 1,000 to one in 2,500.[1] Although significantly higher than the risk among the general population (1:100,000), this level of risk does not warrant radical therapy, such as removal of all intra-abdominal testes.

Other risk factors include HIV positivity and Klinefelter's syndrome.

Please note that testicular cancer is a rare malignancy accounting for only 1% of all malignancies in men.

It's greatest incidence is between 20 and 35 years and is uncommon beyond the age of 40.

You should discuss all these issues with his doctor.

References
=======
1. Pinczowski D, McLaughlin JK, Lackgren G, Adami HO, Persson I. Occurrence of testicular cancer in patients operated on for cryptorchidism and inguinal hernia. J Urol 1991;146:1291-4.