Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Foreskin swelling

 Frank77 - Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:24 am

The skin under my foreskin (the foreskin itself and the skin below the head) gets very sore & swollen after sex (protected). What's worrying me is that this started over 3 weeks ago when I had sexual contact with another man (I'm bisexual), part of which involved me briefly inserting my penis (unprotected) into his anus. The swelling immediately after sex is very sore and red, but calms down relatively quickly, though a slight sensitivity remains in between. No discharge or visible warts, etc. Am very worried about what this might be....hope you can help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:32 am

User avatar Hello,

This could be of traumatic origin. Trauma to the erect penis may lead to minor lesions and inflammation. This trauma can later be secondarliy infected.

On the other hand it could be balanoposthitis. Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis commonly seen in uncircumscribed men. Balanitis involving the foreskin or prepuce is termed balanoposthitis.

Balanoposthitis may have any of multiple bacterial and fungal origins. Complex infections also have been well documented. These often are due to a poorly retractile foreskin and poor hygiene that leads to colonization and overgrowth.

Anaerobic organisms have been associated with the diagnosis, although in most cases, the patient is treated empirically and a specific organismal etiology is not obtained. Candidal infection appears to be the most common cause of disease. The condition in older adult men often has other etiologies, including intertrigo; irritant dermatitides; and candidal, viral, or fungal infections. Treatment centers on improved hygiene and circumcision, if needed.

Given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us