Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: bleeding after sex

calitila - Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:19 am

I'm 19 and have been sexually active for 3 years, my last partner and I had unporected sex for 2 years (we were both virgins) and I know that he has recently been tested and doesn't have any STDs, is it probable that I have one? Most importantly however, my boyfriend and I have been having protected sex for about a month and recently we had sex for the first time without a condom (he was a virgin without STDs), afterwards I burned and bled a little for about 10 min. is that a big problem, its the first time it ever happened. I was at the end of my period, but the blood was bright red, I don't think it was from my period. Also, with or without a condom, upon penetration, I hurt a little, and after about 1 min. the pain goes away, is that just because I'm adjusting to the size? Thanks, T
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:13 am

User avatar Calitila,
Bleeding after intercourse can result from irritation of the cervix, the walls of the vagina, the entrance to the vagina, or the urethra. It is most common for this to be noticed within a day of relations, rather than after several days.

If this occurs occasionally and always clears within a day, it likely has no importance.

Some women will experience bleeding with intercourse if they have just finished their menstrual flow, if they are close to ovulation (mid-cycle) or about to start a menstrual period. This is normal, but the reason it happens is mysterious.

If you have not had a recent well-woman examination including a Pap Smear, I encourage you to contact your primary physician for this examination and also mention your concern about postcoital bleeding.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us