Question: Lump and swelling

D and C - Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Dear Doctor

My boyfriend has had this lump near his penis head for probably about a month now. He rough he was being a bit rough when he was masturbating so he stop doing so for about a month. A month has passed and that lump is still there. He told me when he touch the lump it feels like it is swollen ( like a fluid is underneath it ) but a couple days ago he told me that he's been experiencing this throbging in his penis also not to mention he has a hard time getting an boner. He called his mother (She's a Biology teacher ) and she said that he might have tore a blood vessel and she said it may heal or it may not.

I was just wondering, will he ever get a boner? Will his tore blood vessel heal? Will he be able to have kids? Or from your experience, is it not a tore blood vessel. Please respond to me.

Kc
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:14 am

Minor trauma to the meatus or shaft of the penis can result from allergens, mechanical trauma, intercourse, oral sex, or chemical irritants. These mechanically induced lesions—as well as those mediated by chemical substances—are often seen in young men who have recently started to masturbate.[1]

Traumatic lesions may become secondarily infected which could lead to what you have described.

On the other hand it could be balanitis. Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis commonly seen in uncircumscribed men. It usually causes redness and/or a blotchy rash on the glans, sometimes with a discharge. Balanitis involving the foreskin or prepuce is termed balanoposthitis. The most common complication of balanitis is phimosis, or inability to retract the foreskin from the glans penis.

Both conditions would require medical attention and treatment.

References:
==========
1. Pryor JP, Hill JT, Packham DA, et al. Penile injuries with particular reference to injury to the erectile tissue. Br J Urol 1981;53;42-46.
 D and C - Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:24 pm

Minor Trauma sounds like my boyfriend but he been masturbating for years ( he's 19 by the way ) He has never had intercourse nor oral. I was just wondering will it heal natural? Will he be able to have a boner again and have kids?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:34 pm

User avatar Hello again,

Please understand that I am in no position to evaluate the severity of his condition. Under normal circumstances these lesions neither affect his ability to have an erection or his fertility.

Please have him see a doctor as soon as possible, lest his situation develop into something more serious.