Question: Im worried about my aching testes...

SIC - Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:02 pm

I currently have dull aching pains witin both my testes, more so in the right. I have had them for the past few days. I think they may be linked to when i was aroused and had an erection for a couple of hours through being with a girl but i didnt ejaculate or anything and i eventually lost the erection after she left. The next couple of hours my balls felt extremely tender and sore and although they are not that bad anymore the aching sensation still persists. I've had this problem before a few months back and got a check up with my doctor ho said everything was in good working order and sent me away, snse then till now i have been ok. This time i thought i should get a second opinion here. I am only 17 years of age so it may be something to do with puberty. On the other hand i have heard about 'blue balls' when you don't ejaculate after having an erection but i only hought that was supposed to last a few hours. I am a little worried and apprehensive so hopefully you can shed some light on what i might be going through. Thank you for your time in reading this and trying o help me out. SIC
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:30 am

There are many possible causes of testicular pain, these include: trauma or surgery; torsion of the testicles; infections such as epididymitis or orchitis; varicocele and hydrocele; referred pain from a kidney stone; an inguinal hernia or pelvic congestion (blue balls).

Blue balls is a slang term for a temporary congestion in the scrotum and prostate region that commonly results when prolonged sexual stimulation of the erect penis does not result in orgasm and ejaculation.

During arousal in a sexually mature male, the sympathetic nervous system is disrupted, resulting in increased blood and lymphatic fluid flow to the scrotum, testicles and prostate areas. As this happens, the veins carrying blood from the genital area become constricted, causing more blood to enter the area than leave, ensuring a high enough regional blood pressure to allow a sustained erection for penetration during sexual intercourse.

Because orgasm is not achieved, the blood tends to pool and become oxygen deprived. This may result in the bluish tint that appears when blood engorges the vessels in the testicles.

The easiest way to relieve the symptoms of blue balls is through an orgasm either by masturbation or sexual intercourse. The resultant ejaculation jump-starts the sympathetic nervous system, which increases blood flow through the groin area, dissipating the fluid buildup. Even without orgasm, the symptoms of blue balls usually subside within an hour of onset. The symptoms can sometimes last much longer.

The fact that it has lasted a few days may point in the direction of infection. If it doesn't get any better overnight then you should seek medical attention by tomorrow. If you experience any new symptoms, discharge, increased pain, tenderness or fever you should seek immediate attention.