Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Possibly balinitis?

 ripple - Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:09 pm

my boyfriend of 6 months is very reluctant to go see a doctor about this, so I thought I'd ask on here first. He is uncircumcised and his penis gets pretty sore whenever the foreskin is retracted, it is particularly bad during intercourse or oral sex (both of which retract the foreskin more than manual stim). He told me that it started when he was younger, when he got a big infection because he didn't know how to properly clean it. He does clean it properly now, but the problem is still there. Recently I stupidly had unprotected sex with him (although it was not complete insertion) and afterwards and for about 3 days after I felt a little itchy and just not 100% healthy in my genital region...don't know if that is connected or just because it had been a while for me.
It is affecting our sex life and I'm just wondering if anything can be done about this (besides or before going to see a doctor)?

Thanks a lot!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:47 am

User avatar Hello,

Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis commonly seen in uncircumscribed men. It usually causes redness and/or a blotchy rash on the glans, sometimes with a discharge. Balanitis involving the foreskin or prepuce is termed balanoposthitis. The most common complication of balanitis is phimosis, or inability to retract the foreskin from the glans penis.

Balanoposthitis may have any of multiple bacterial and fungal origins. Complex infections also have been well documented. These often are due to a poorly retractile foreskin and poor hygiene that leads to colonization and overgrowth.

Anaerobic organisms have been associated with the diagnosis, although in most cases, the patient is treated empirically and a specific organismal etiology is not obtained. Candidal infection appears to be the most common cause of disease. The condition in older adult men often has other etiologies, including intertrigo; irritant dermatitides; and candidal, viral, or fungal infections.

Treatment centers on antibiotics / antifungal treatment, improved hygiene. Topical antibiotics (metronidazole cream) and antifungals (clotrimazole cream) often lead to clearing of the lesion. In your case you will need to be treated too if you are found to have acquired yeast infection from him. This means, even if he doesn't want to check it out, you should get a check up.

Given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis.

Best regards.
 ripple - Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:44 pm

thanks! I'm going to try really hard to get him to get checked out too.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us