Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Skin irritation?

 Gamer~ - Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:07 am

Hi, im a 17 year old male, have not engaged in sexual activity at all, but over the past few months, possibly longer, i seem to have many little, little bumps on the foreskin of my penis. These are on the inside, so only can be seen when the skin is pulled back.
There are more spots on the left side than the right.
I told my dad about this, and he just told me that i should keep it well washed. Im more than sure that im a decent washer so yeah.. im a little worried.
It is at times itchy but not often, and if it is rubbed for a while, it gets itchy. I don't feel pain at all either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:32 pm

User avatar Hello,

Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis commonly seen in uncircumscribed men. It usually causes redness and/or a blotchy rash on the glans, sometimes with a discharge. Balanitis involving the foreskin or prepuce is termed balanoposthitis.

Balanoposthitis may have any of multiple bacterial and fungal origins. Complex infections also have been well documented. These often are due to a poorly retractile foreskin and poor hygiene that leads to colonization and overgrowth.

Treatment centers on antibiotics / antifungal treatment, improved hygiene and treatment of eczema if present. Circumcision may be needed in some cases.

Given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us