Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Over 30 Months of Trying to Conceive- No PCOS

Tammy1999 - Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:57 pm

Age 36, Female.
Well-butrin 300mg XR daily for depression for three years now.
Clomid from July05-Dec05.
Metformin from Dec05 through current.
I smoke approx 18 cigarettes a day.
Other than smoking, I eat healthy, walk 30 minutes a day, four times a week and I am not overweight.

I've had irregular periods all of my life but never skipped a period (range of 24-39 days)- terrible cramps on the first day and half of second day menstruation except when I was on birth-control pills. My mother also has very irregular periods and said that she conceived all three children with no rhyme or reason during her cycle, but she does not get cramps. After two years of trying, I visited my Doc and my progesterone level was 8, well below the recommended 15. They prescribed Clomid in July 2005 and my progesterone levels were good after taking Clomid (26). My cervical mucus was barely present after several months on clomid and sex was sometimes painful because I was so dry. They prescribed estrogen to offset the vaginal dryness, but it did not help much.

After no luck with the Clomid, I had an ultra-sound in December to check for endometriosis and PCOS three days before my period was expected (have been regular on the Clomid- 28 days). The ultra-sound showed 2 or 3 little cysts on one of my ovaries and my uterine lining was thick. The doctor said that the cyst sizes were probably not indicative of PCOS and they looked like ovulation-sized cysts. He prescribed Metformin just to be safe and ordered another ultra-sound for the following month.

After my period in early January of this year, I stopped taking Clomid. The vaginal dryness and risk of forming cysts with extended use were my major reasons. I am thinking of trying the Clomid again in a few months and hopefully, I won't experience the hostile mucus for the first two months. My plan is to have sex right before and during my period, every other day during the month.

In January, I took another ultra-sound, approximately 13 days after my period and the cysts were gone, uterine lining was not thick. My appt is next week to discuss the results with my doctor. I am still taking the Metformin (for about 45 days now).

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 30 months. Believe it or not, we rarely (maybe once or twice) had sex right before my period. We were typically having sex on days 8-18 and we would poop out after the 10 days, waiting for the next cycle. Is it possible that I am ovulating 3 days before my period begins?

My doctor is an OB/GYN and has said that he is not a fertility specialist. This whole experience has been very dis-heartening and I was hoping to get a second opinion. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve fertility?
Does it sound like endometriosis?
Can you recommend any new medications that might help?

Thank you in advance for your advice. Sorry for the length of this posting, but I wanted to give you the entire background.
 baby crazi - Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:12 pm

Tammy1999 wrote:Age 36, Female.
Clomid from July05-Dec05.
Metformin from Dec05 through current.
I smoke approx 18 cigarettes a day.

Does it sound like endometriosis?

Hi tammy 1999.
I am not a doctor or anything but i would like to suggest that you try Ovulex.
I have been trying to conceive for 13months now without any luck.
I am only 23 and didnt think i would have any problems.
I really want to get Ovulex but my husband wants me to wait a little longer to see if we can conceive on our own.
He doesnt want me to take any drugs or anything.
Ovulex is not a drug, it is made from natural herbs.
I am soo stressed at the momment and trying to conceive is driving me crazy. My husband tells me to try not to stress but i cant help it.
I can not imagine what you are going through, it must be very stressful for you.
Please pm me if you would like to chat.
thanks.
 Tammy1999 - Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:08 am

I will do a little research on Ovulex- thanks for the suggestion. At this point, I am trying to be open-minded about every option. I hope that things work out for you and your husband. One thing that is definitely in your favor is time- you are very young and will probably get pregnant soon enough. Couple of suggestions from my experiences in trying to get pregnant:

Buy an ovulator predictor kit from a drug store- should cost under $15 and it will give you and your husband a little notice about when to have sex.

Women can ovulate at different times in their cycle outside of the normal 14 days before your period- who knows? Maybe you've been trying at the same time each month and missing your ovulation.

If you can, have sex every other day for the entire month (not every day because it depletes the man's sperm)- this way, you will not miss your ovulation time.

Best of luck to you!