Question: Testical Pain and Swollen

just a person - Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:49 pm

Well I am writing in a question about my boyfriend. We have been together for 3 years and have not had intercourse. We decided to wait until marriage, but we have had oral sex. He is 25, will be 26 in 4 months. He has complained twice now about one of his testicals hurting and being swollen. I am not sure but I think it was the right one that was swollen. The first time it happened he tried to masturbate thinking it might be "blue balls" and that ejaculating would help but he said that it didn't help at all w/ the pain. Reading on the internet blue balls typically goes away after about an hour or two. I know the second time this has happened which was about a week ago the pain lasted for several hours and I did look at him and one of his testicals was double the size of the other one. He made several comments through out the day about it hurting. And it was probably about a month or so in between times. He has not been to a doctor for this and is not on medications. I was wondering if this sounds like something we should be concerned about and if he should go to the doctor? Or if you could just give me an idea of what could be causing this. I have been looking online and haven't be able to find out much that sounds like this. Thanks
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:43 am

There are many possible causes of testicular pain, these include: trauma or surgery; torsion of the testicles; infections such as epididymitis or orchitis; varicocele and hydrocele; referred pain from a kidney stone; an inguinal hernia or pelvic congestion. Pain can also be referred to the testicles from conditions such as ureteric stones or spinal pathology.

On the other hand, the testes can swell for many reasons. Possible causes include cancer, testicular torsion, inguinal hernia, epididymitis, hydrocele, and varicocele. Other causes are far less common in adults. These include lymphedema, mumps and a spermatocele.

Epididymitis, orchitis or epididymo-orchitis can all result in testicular pain and swelling.

Both the testicle itself and the epididymis are prone to infection with microorganisms. Inflammation of the testicle is known as orchitis, and that of the epididymis as epididymitis. When both occur together, as they often do, the term is epididymo-orchitis. All cause pain in the area of the testicle, which is tender, swollen and hot to touch.

Bacterial infection often descends from the urinary system leading to a typical infection that will normally respond to a course of broad-spectrum antibiotics. The viral infection mumps is not an uncommon cause of orchitis in adult men who are not immune, usually affecting one side, but sometimes both.