Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Some concern

curious17 - Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:07 pm

Hi there I had a little bit of a concern that I wanted to clarify. My fiance and I were fooling around one evening (not sex) but a little bit of pre-ejaculate went through his clothing and I'm not sure if it went through mine as well but I'm assuming it did. It's been almost 3 weeks since then and I've been feeling a lot of nausea lately and I havn't really eaten along with back pain and some constipation. I was just wondering could I be pregnant? I really wasn't concerned about it until these symptoms came and I also think isn't it a little to early to be having these symptoms due to pregnancy ie) back pain and constipation already? I was thinking maybe I was just stressing out or maybe caught a little twinge of the flu. Also; isnt rare to get pregnant through clothing just from pre-ejaculate. Anyways thankyou for your help I just need to put my mind at ease because I already have one daughter and I'm really not in the place for any more kids right now.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:15 pm

It is very unlikely to get pregnant from the pre-ejaculate secretions (contain secretions that facilitate sperm passage and act as lubricants) although they may contain sperms, but it could happen.

However, the symptoms you have mentioned are not specific for pregnancy and could be of many other causes like GI problems.

If you have any delay of your period and you have some doubts about your symptoms you can do a pregnancy test.

A Pregnancy test is a test that examine for a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) that is positive when women are pregnant. The test can be done using blood or urine sample.

However, a blood test can tell if the woman is pregnant or not in term of few days (6-8 days) from ovulation and fertilization, this means beofre even a missed period. The test can give a clear answer for pregnancy (yes to be pregnant or not) , as well as an idea about the pregnancy duration in weeks by a quantitative analysis.

Testing for urine on the other hand, is better done one week after a missed period. One negative result (especially soon after a missed period) is not enough to exclude pregnancy and the test should be repeated there after or blood test is done. Some Antibiotics and contraceptive pills interfere with the test and should be avoided.

So, a negative blood test for B-HCG means non preganant, while a negative urine test needs either to be repeated or to be confirmed by a blood test.