Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Iud and infertility

al1003 - Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:04 pm

I currently have an IUD and have 2 kids. I could possibly want more. A friend has just informed me that she is not going to be able to have kids because of her husband's large anatomy and she has an IUD that got "jostled" and caused an infection. Is this possible? My husband and I are nervous. We have no history of STDs. I am not sure of her.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:38 am

User avatar Hello,

The intra-uterine contraceptive device (IUCD) – or coil – is a small plastic or copper device used to prevent fertilization.
IUD can be left for up to ten years as long as there is regular follow up and no local problems occur.

The fear of getting and spread of infection through the IUD although small is highly considered. Most of doctors check for any possible existing infection before they fit an IUD.

The risk of spread of infection into the uterus and the fallopian tubes causing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) which result in infertility is of utmost concern. For this reason, doctors advise women to be on regular follow up and to report them with any symptoms suggestive of infection like pelvic pain or any abnormal vaginal discharge for prompt management.

I advise you to follow local hygienic measures and to follow with your doctor on regular basis.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us