Forum Name: Fertility

Question: HAS THE COIL RUINED IT FOR US

alison - Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:15 pm

I AM A MAM OF 34 YEARS I HAVE TWO BOYS AGED 12 AND 11.AFTER DECIDING TO GET THE COIL FITTED IN SEPTEMBER 2003 (BIG MISTAKE). ONE YEAR ON ME AND MY PARTNER DECIDED TO TRY FOR A BABY. IT HAS NOW BEEN 17 MONTHS WE HAVE TRIED. DO YOU THINK THIS HAS DELAYED OUR CHANCES IF ANY OF GETTING PREAGNANT ONE MORE TIME. UP UNTIL NOW I HAVE HAD REGULAR PERIODS I HAVE MISSED MY LAST TWO PERIODS, DONE A TEST -YES -NEGATIVE.
WHATS? NEXT SHALL I WAIT ANOTHER MONTH
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:34 am

The intra-uterine contraceptive device (IUCD) – or coil – is a small plastic or copper device used to prevent fertilization.
IUD can be left for up to ten years as long as there is regular follow up and no local problems occur.

The fear of getting and spread of infection through the IUD although small is highly considered. Most of doctors check for any possible existing infection before they fit an IUD.

The risk of spread of infection into the uterus and the fallopian tubes causing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) which result in infertility is of utmost concern. For this reason, doctors advise women to be on regular follow up and to report them with any symptoms suggestive of infection like pelvic pain or any abnormal vaginal discharge for prompt management.

In you case I advise you to follow with your doctor and to start investigations to exclude any possibility of tubal block or non related local problems or hormonal imbalance.