Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Discharge and pus in urine

bmorecareful - Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:34 pm

I had sex with my fiance twice during her menstrual cycle. Not long afterwards I started to experience an itching sensation when I urined. Shortly after that I noticed a sometimes cloudy and other times white discharge coming from my penis. When I went to the doctors they said I had alot of puss in my urine. What could this possibly be? I'm still waitin for my test results and it's driving me crazy?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:10 am

User avatar Hello,

I hope you are feeling better now.

Opaque white discharge from the penis then it could be a sexually transmitted disease.

Common causes of penile discharge are 1. Gonococcal urethritis and 2. non-gonococcal or non-specific urethritis (NSU).

Gonococcal urethritis (gonorrhoea) is caused by Neisseria gonorrhoeae a gram negative bacterium.

Non-gonococcal urethritis
NSU is the most common form of penile discharge. Men aged between 20 and 35 years are most commonly affected.

It can be caused by a number of organisms including, Chlamydia trachomatis (up to 60%), Mycoplasma genitalium (25%), Ureaplasma urealyticum (15-25%), Trichomonas vaginalis (17%) and Herpes simplex (rarely).

In very few cases of non-gonococcal urethritis are reported not to be caused by sexual transmission. The symptoms in these cases are blamed on irritants, soaps or detergents, but no firm evidence exists to support this theory.

More commonly, this is a sexually transmitted disease.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us