Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Vaginal Dicharge

Mooshie - Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:08 am

I just recently was dignoised with Chlamydia and I got treated for it, but I got treated for it four times because the first 3 results were positive. So it took a while to get rid of it. But after taking the antibodics i noticed i was still getting discharge. The discharge would line the outer area of my vagina and when i ran my fingers through to clean myself, I noticed that it would form together into clumps. I was thinking that maybe it was a yeast infection but i don't have any other symptoms, just discharge and the clumping. The clumps really bother me. I am not sure if maybe i had a false-negative from the chlamydia or what. I was wondering if any other females have ever experienced anything like this? And if you might know what I might have and what I can do about it?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:44 am

Women with chlamydia infection are usually symptomless. They may have symptoms like abnormal vaginal discharge or a burning sensation when urinating.

The main concern is the spread of infection from the cervix to the fallopian tubes while they still have no signs or symptoms.
Some may present with lower abdominal pain, low back pain, nausea, fever, pain during intercourse, or irregular vaginal bleeding.

Regarding vaginitis due to candida infection, the typical symptoms are Vaginal or vulvar itching and cheese like discharge.

However, itching and burning sensations is not always present and differentiating between yeast vaginitis and bacterial vaginosis is difficult.

One study addressed the possible differentiating factors and found that presentation after the 14th menstrual cycle day, sexual intercourse more than four times per month, recent antibiotic use, young age, and absence of current gonorrhea or bacterial vaginosis are strong factors in differentiation.

Gram stain for yeast is an accurate method of diagnosis as well as culture, consideration for a background positivity in women without yeast problems should be taken.

Gynecological examination and cultures are essential.