Forum Name: Fertility

Question: hysterosalpingogram

jewels - Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:05 pm

Iam 30 and Female
I had a hysterosalpingogram done 12 months ago It showed that both my tubes were blocked (one due to surgery to close it after an eptopic pregnancy) Now I had no dye leak backout during or after the hysterosalpingogram at all and no pain no cramps nothing my doctor said that because the dye didnt leak back out at all she wondered if maybe it did find its way in to my uterus So my question is
Is this possible could my tube still be sort of okay?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:28 pm

A hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is an X-ray test used to examine for the uterus and the fallopian tubes in women who has fertility problems.

Basically a dye (contrast material) is injected through the vagina into the uterus and normally it will flow into the fallopian tubes to the abdominal cavity with no leak outside the uterus (minimal leak is accepted).

It also help to delineate the anatomical shape of the uterus and the tubes to check for any abnormalities or adhesion.

Some doctors believe that the procedure it self can help to cut some the adhesion that block the tubes, although most of doctors give a lot of concern and precautions for possible increase in the incidence of ascending infections or inflammatory damage of the tubes.

It is definitely a good sign that the dye did not leak out of the uterus, however only your doctor who did the test and saw the X-ray can give you a better conclusion