Forum Name: Fertility

Question: 2 1'2 months late for period

angel_uk231982 - Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:11 pm

hi i am 23 years old i have 2 healthy boys and miscaried 1. i am sexually active. my last period was 6th december i was expecting to see on the 3rd january i am normally regular but it didnt show. on the 19th january i went to the toilet and when i wiped myself there was a bit of blood on the tissue i thought i started my period. i put a pad on but a couple hours later i went back to the toilet and there was nothing there. on the 25th it happened again but this time it was old blood brown instead of pink or red and again there was nothing there a couple hours later. i was due on again on the 31st january again i didnt see that one either. i have been getting really bad cramps and pains in my stomach, my breasts have gone tender and enlarged, i feel nauseas, i lost my appetite then it came back and now it cant make up its mind if i want to eat or not. certain smells make me feel ill, cups of tea sometimes make me feel ill, i have really bad backace, i am more emotional i start crying for no reason. the list goes on. i'm not on any contraception. i have done endless amount of pregnancy tests some appear to have a faint line and other are plain negative. i have gone to the doctors 5 times they have done 3 pregnancy tests on me and they have to come back negative. the doctor wont really help with my problem. i'm not stressed out. when my aunty was pregnant with her eldest she was 11 weeks pregnant before she had a positive test. she recently had an ectopic pregnancy. it is now starting to worry me as i don't know what is going on. can someone help please thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:24 am

User avatar Hi angel_uk231982,
During your evaluation and pregnancy testing was a urine test done or bloodwork? Labwork is essentially more sensitive in detecting pregnancy than urine. If pregnancy is definitely ruled out and your menstrual cycle does not return some of the factors that may cause Amenorrhea are stress, diet (malnutrition/anorexia), ovarian dysfunction, hormone disturbances, endocrine dysfunction, etc. An evaluation to determine the cause aside from pregnancy would be warranted.
 angel_uk231982 - Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:35 am

thank you for your reply.
i went to the doctors a few days ago and asked for a blood pregnancy test to be done. the doctor said she cant do me one untill i provide a positive urine test. so i asked if i could have a scan to rule out pregnancy. again she told me i cant have that untill i have missed another 2 periods. i think i will register with another doctor.
[/b]
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:43 am

User avatar Hi angel_uk231982,
Labtests are more sensitive than urine tests and can detect pregnancy at an earlier stage. I would not know the reasoning that your current physician has in not providing this service but as always, in any case, a second opinion is certainly always an option. Best wishes and I hope you will consider posting an update when your time permits.
 angel_uk231982 - Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:54 pm

hi i thought i will let u know whats happened. i went to the doctors today and they did a scan for me. there was no baby and no cyst either so now i am really confused. if i was pregnant i would be about 11 weeks so they would be able to see a baby by now. i suppose i have to wait untill i see my period. i'm not stressed i am a very relaxed person. my stomach still hurts it feels like burning on the right side of my abdomen that sort of pain has been there only a couple of days. i will let u know if anything changes and thank you for your help :)