Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Lower Right Abdominal Pain-worse during sex/no period

xdizzyizzyx - Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:54 pm

I am a 20 yr old woman, about a month ago I was experiencing lower right abdominal pains. The doctor, after taking a urine test diagnosed it as a UTI - the medication she gave me, she said was safe for pregnant women ( @ that time I had just gotten off of birth control and had unprotected sex- the doctor said that there might have been a possibility that i was pregnant).
I took the medication along with medicine to " have a period" ( right after I got off the birthcontrol, my period was over 3wks late) so the doctor gave me medicine so that I could have it.
So I took the medications, I ended up getting my period a day after I visited the doctor..... but now my pains are back ( lower right abdomen pain), havent gotten my period yet( few days late) and am extremely worried. Is the UTI back?? I feel like I go to the bathroom often and when I do pee it's very little, I also feel like i'm bloated. The pain is uncomfortable, I need to sit or lay down when it hurts and it's terrible during sex.
- i'm not on any medications right now
Please help,

Isabel
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:37 am

User avatar Hi xdizzyizzyx,
Some women experience delayed return of menstrual cycles for a short time (generally speaking approximately 3 months but may be as long as approximately 6 months) after discontinuation of birth control medications. Of course a pregnancy test should be done to rule out the possibility of being pregnant. If your are again experiencing the symptoms of a UTI I would strongly suggest a repeat evaluation. Untreated UTI's may lead to serious complications.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us