Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Concerns about Phymosis

 dc_com - Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:35 am

I'm currently 22 years old and uncircumcised. Until recently, I was not aware that the foreskin on the penis was supposed to retract enough so that it does not cover the head of the penis. Mine has never been like that. Although I don't have any trouble masterbating, sex can be painful because the foreskin gets pulled back much further than its used to. I looked around on the internet and found out that this was phymosis.

My question concerns some of the treatments of phymosis that are disseminated throughout the internet. I certainly want to avoid surgery, and so have been trying the foreskin streching exercises that are supposed to gradually loosen the foreskin so that it can retract fully. I was wondering what a real doctors opinion is on these exercises. I have only been doing them for about 3 days, and its hard to tell if I'm making any progress. The problem is that I feel like my skin is sort of thick on the foreskin and the stretching can be really uncomfortable, though not painful.

Regarding past surgeries, I vaguely remember visiting a doctor when I was very young, pre-puberty for almost the same type of thing that I'm doing now. He inserted something into the foreskin which stretched it out, but it was incredibly painful and he had to stop. At the time, I didn't know, nor did anyone bother to explain, what the purpose of that was.

Sorry for the long post, this has been a frustrating few days for me, finding out that I have this condition. Any help or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:02 am

User avatar Hi dc_com,
I am not one of the physician's on the forum but I would like to offer my response. Stretching exercises take some time to be effective, several weeks in fact. Typically, using a water based lubricant eases the discomfort. Topical application of corticosteroid cream has proven to be effective. I would suggest that you have an evaluation by your physician and inquire about the use of topical corticosteroid cream as well. I hope this has been somewhat helpful.
Theresa Jones, RN
 dc_com - Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:10 am

Hi Theresa,
that was a helpful reply, I just wanted to make sure that stretching was safe and I didn't damage my skin while doing it. Thanks!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us