Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: swollen penis(im really worried)

 thomas10 - Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:15 pm

my name is thomas i am 15. i have recently got a new girlfriend! today she was masturbating me. she was not masturbating me gently and so kept pulling my foreskin over the head of my penis. i have not been circumsized and it was not straightaway but afta a few hours i noticed that my foreskin had swollen. it is not stuck behind the head of the penis but i am in discomfort. i am not sure what to do as i do not wish to tell my parents as they believe that i am sexually inactive. i am worried as i am a teenager and i really need some advice! please can someone help me?

 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:49 am

User avatar Hello,

Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis commonly seen in uncircumscribed men. It usually causes redness and/or a blotchy rash on the glans, sometimes with a discharge. Balanitis involving the foreskin or prepuce is termed balanoposthitis. The most common complication of balanitis is phimosis, or inability to retract the foreskin from the glans penis.

Balanoposthitis may have any of multiple bacterial and fungal origins. Complex infections also have been well documented. These often are due to a poorly retractile foreskin and poor hygiene that leads to colonization and overgrowth.

Anaerobic organisms have been associated with the diagnosis, although in most cases, the patient is treated empirically and a specific organismal etiology is not obtained. Candidal infection appears to be the most common cause of disease. The condition in older adult men often has other etiologies, including intertrigo; irritant dermatitides; and candidal, viral, or fungal infections.

Its possible in your case the trauma made you more vulnerable to infection. Its also possible that the infection was transmitted during sexual intercourse.

Treatment centers on antibiotics / antifungal treatment, improved hygiene and treatment of eczema if present. Circumcision may be needed in some cases.

Given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us