Question: Testicular growth

Adamp - Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:30 pm

theres a small mass of what i can onyldescribe as wains leading from inside my body into my scrotum do cause the left hand side of my scrotum to hang slightly lower and i wondered what this could be is it something thats fallne down?

cheers
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:59 am

The testes can swell for many reasons. Possible causes include cancer, testicular torsion, inguinal hernia, epididymitis, hydrocele, and varicocele. Other causes are far less common in adults. These include lymphedema, mumps and a spermatocele.

Varicocele can lead to discomfort around the testicle, rather than actual pain in the testicle itself. A varicocele is formed when the veins that drain blood away from the testicles in the scrotum become varicose. This feels like a bag of worms at the top of the testicle on the affected side and the veins themselves may be tender to the touch. The discomfort is of a dragging, aching nature, and wearing a supportive pair of pants will help.

A doctor can distinguish between swollen veins and the normal underlying testicle through an examination. In moderate to severe cases, an operation to remove the varicose veins is curative.