Question: Irritated head of penis

problem13 - Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:38 pm

The head of my penis, is slightly red, and has thin lines running down it as if it's wrinkled. it stings slightly if i rub the head. i do masterbate but i don't use any type of lube, if theres any suggestions as opposed to seeing a doctor it would be greatly appreciated

thank you
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:05 am

Actually there are several possibilities to this.

Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis commonly seen in uncircumscribed men. It usually causes redness and/or a blotchy rash on the glans, sometimes with a discharge.

Balanitis may have any of multiple bacterial and fungal origins.

Another condition known as balanitis xerotica obliterans is the term given to lichen sclerosus et atrophicus when it involves the glans or prepuce.

The cause of this benign disorder remains unknown, but is possibly autoimmune. The condition is observed in uncircumcised males.

The onset of this disease is usually incidious. It is associated with scarring and fissure formation. Clinically it presents as a well-defined, flattened, pale gray-to-white/ivory patch that looks like wrinkled cigarette paper.

On the other hand, minor trauma to the meatus or shaft of the penis can result from allergens, mechanical trauma, intercourse, oral sex, or chemical irritants. These mechanically induced lesions—as well as those mediated by chemical substances—are often seen in young men who masturbate.

Given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis.

mostafamos - Sat May 09, 2009 5:18 pm

I have used an exfoliating cream presumably that it purifies my penis from any bacteria and i used it almost daily with my shower cos I'm a bit of a sanitation freak but now I live a nightmare that my penis glans stinging when i touch it or rub it againest my underware I used a workaround solution a piece of cotton to ban any kind of scrubing with my underware but this has been persist for 3 weeks now I feel unconfident in my life could you please tell me what can I use to relief this slight stinging pain ,for your records there's no redness or sore or ichying or warts just normal but when it comes to touch it feels stingy ... help appreciated thanks
 berthea - Tue May 12, 2009 2:29 pm

I have been having similar problems to person in the first post.
 DillJLoc - Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:22 pm

I was alarmed today when going pee. On the head, to the left of my urethera, it looks like a bruise but with a red edge. It is tender to touch and kinda itches. What could this be. I was taking some Doxycycline for the last 2 days, and been using normal cleansers for my body.