Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Penis Irritation - Very Painful

 jws_64 - Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:58 pm

Hi, I am a 41 yr old gay man. I have been celebant for almost 2 yrs now and have my doctor test me at least once a year for HIV and other STDs. I have never tested positive for any. I am currently under treatment for depression. I have lost most of sex drive due to the depression and the medications that fight anxiety and depression. I rarely even masturbate. There is no excitement in it for me at this time.

Anyway - the current problem:
I am circumsized, but still have some loose skin. I've always thought of my penis as a turtle, because when I am not aroused, it retreats into the loose skin. When I was sexually active, or at least masturbating, I never had a problem. But since it's not getting used, gunk builds up in the loose skin. I clean daily in the shower, but it continues to appear daily. It's gotten to the point that the head of my penis and most of it when extended is very red, and very painful to touch. It is also painful in my underwear if I was to move the wrong way. I have tried lubricating it with Neosporin, and at the beginning that would seem to ease or calm the pain. That doesn't seem to be working anymore and the condition is present now more often than not. Just this week I tried using Lamisal, but I didn't get any relief from that either.

So, before going to my doctor, I thought I would see if a doctor here, or some other person has experience the same problem and find the answer.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:03 pm

User avatar Hello,

This could be balanitis.

Balanitis is not sexually transmitted. It results from an overgrowth of organisms which are normally present on the skin of the glans. The condition most commonly occurs in uncircumcised men. The environment under the foreskin is warm and moist, and these conditions often favor the growth of the organisms that cause balanitis. These organisms are especially likely to grow if moisture is allowed to persist under the foreskin for a while. This may occur if you have not washed for a couple of days, or sometimes after sexual activity (vaginal, oral or anal - with or without a condom).

One common organism associated with balanitis is a yeast known as Candida albicans. Balanitis may occur because of excessive growth of Candida, due to moisture and warmth under the foreskin.
 jws_64 - Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:20 pm

Dr Fouad,
Thank you for your reply.
When I didn't get any replies, and my self medication with neosporing and lotriman did not correct the situation, I decided to see my primary doctor. He told me that I was uncircumcised, which surprised me, and prescribed a steriodal type cream to use. It cleared up most of the cake like build up, but my penis continued to be very sore, painful, red, etc. He sent me to an Urologist, who I saw yesterday and he said that I have what you describe and also something else, phimosis or phisosis, he obviously didn't spell it for me and I was nervous.

End result, he said since normal treatments have not helped and I had no objection to being circumcised, he set me up to have the circumcision procedue. Funny, he then said before taking me to the nurse that would schedule it, if I had any upcoming vacations. I said that yes I did, at the beginning of May. He suggested that I have the surgery done when I return, otherwise I would have to avoid the pools, hot tubs and ocean while on vacation.

So.. he said 3 to 6 weeks after the surgery, I will be a new man. Sounds good to me.

Thanks again for your reply!


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us