Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Ingrown Hairs or Herpes?

Katie70 - Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:32 pm

Hi, I'm a 19 year old girl.
Three weeks ago I had unprotected sex with a guy I did not know well. About 6 days ago I had a generalized itching sensation in my vaginal area and the next day there was a swollen area on the left side of my vagina which disappeard during that same day. About 4 days ago I devopled several small pimples which were all far away from each other. On my upper thighs there was one on each side and another two or three on the right upper buttocks not very near each other and two which were next to each other that were right were my pubic hair begins to grow. All the pimple like bumps are in areas where there is hair. The next day white spots appeared on three of the pimples and they hurt when they rubbed up against my jeans which were tight. That same day one of the pimples that didnt have a white center spot popped and blood came out. These pimples are relatively small however when they had white centers there was a large area of red around them.
However today, when I woke up the pimples had mostly disappeared on their own... they were not large anymore andd they had slight craters in three of them... they were quite small.. I went to the docter and she insisted it was not herpes but ingrown hairs. However she was in a hurry and as a university health center they don't usually spent much time on patients. I'm still very worried since the remaining pimples have begun to itch. There are only about two left that havent popped. The rest (the ones which are disappearing) don't itch or hurt or are large, they are just little red dots which are disappearing fast. I have had ingrown hairs before but not so many at the same time. Also, on the day I had the generalized itching senstaion I also felt rundown and slightly sick. However I am currently suffereing from allergies so Im not sure if its that. Please, please tell me what you think. I am very scared that I may have been misdiagnosed and I do not want to spread this to anyone else.
-Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:04 am

User avatar Hi Katie70,
Symptoms of Genital Herpes, which is highly contagious, generally speaking, appear as small blisters typically filled with a clear or straw colored fluid. After rupture, painful ulces are present which typically scab over and heal in approximatel 1-2 weeks. Folliculitis, caused by blockage of a hair follicle from damage, shaving etc.,may present with pimple/pustules in the genital area, causing discomfort, itching, etc. These damaged follicles may of course be infected with a staph bacteria or fungal related, etc. I would suggest a re-evaluation to assure a STD is not the causative factor but in my opinion, from your description, I would be inclined to agree with your physician. Again, re-evaluation would identify the causative factor.