Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: 24 years old and no period*******************

 onp - Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:38 am

I'm 24 years old and i have not gotten my first period yet. When i was younger , my doctor said that i had low hormones and suggested that i take some birth control pills to increase it. But I didn't, because i didn't really care for it. Well here i am at 24, i think i should be looking into it, before it's too late. Have you gottten any cases like this before or know anyone that went through this?

I don't know what to do.

 R. Zein, Pharm D - Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:22 pm

User avatar Dear onp

There are many cases like you. My advice is that you talk to your physician about it, and get started in hormonal therapy, because they will help regulate your cycle.

take care, thank you , and wish you all the best
 meow2 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:28 pm

Hey im 23 and have never had a true natural period. I was on birth control pills about 4-5 years ago for about 6 months. I had about 5 periods but due to weight gain from the pill I stopped. You should go to the dr. get some blood work done, have a external ultrasound, and a vag ultrasound. For me I also had to have a MRI of my brian to see if there was a problem with the part that regulates hormones. I also had a kindney ultra sound. One dr told me i have PCOS and one told me I didnt. They both rec. that I take calcum pills due to the fact we are at a higher risk for osteropersosis (sp) because we do not shead out linning. as of right now I am not doing anything about it, but I am thinkin about going to an endo dr. to see if they can help shead light on my situation.

Good luck to you and let me know what happens
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:33 pm

User avatar Most likely this is a hormonal problem which could be corrected so I agree you should definitely see your health care provider (family practice or gynecology).
 Stephanie03 - Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:29 am

I am 20 years old and have had very irregular periods since they started. I moved in with my boyfriend a year ago and decided to go on birth control, this made my periods more regular however it made me very sick. After a couple months of not getting better my doctor advised me to stop taking the BC. i had one period the month after i stopped taking the pills which was in november and have not had one since then. I am nervous now wondering if there is a problem with my fertility. Not that i want to have a child now but it is definately in my future and if i cant have kids i will be truely heartbroken...Is there something bigger that could be wrong with me? Please help me
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:04 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is possible you could be not ovulating every month but there are medications to help should you decide you are ready to conceive a child. You should discuss your concerns with your OB/GYN but there is a good chance when the time comes they will be able to help you. Meanwhile you should still use birth control of some kind since you are likely ovulating irregularly - hence the occasional period. You should also have annual pelvic exams and pap smear testing.

Best wishes.
 michellelynn - Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:23 pm

i had the same problem, and i went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with PCOD. you should go to your gyno and check out all the possibilities, google pcod/pcos and see if you have the symptoms.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us