Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: sexual assault

Shantae123 - Wed May 26, 2004 11:17 pm

I was sexually assulted about 2 1/2 months ago, and I have no received my monthly period in 2 months now. I have taken pregnancy tests.. multiple ones, and they all come back negative. I have been having the systems for the 2 months like I am going to get my period, bloating, aggitated and tired.I am obviously not pregnant since I have taken like 10 tests, but what could be another reason that I am feeling like this and I haven't gotten my period. I could sure use some advice.
Thank you
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 27, 2004 4:20 am

User avatar Shantae123,
First, I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. I wish you the courage and strength to get over it.

Regarding your menstrual disturbance: two months of absent cycles may be a normal happening every now and then. Ofcourse your concern is related to the possibility of pregancy. Since your pregnancy tests came out negative repeatidly I would safely exclude that. If you do not get your cycles for another month (3 months in succession) then this is a condition referred to as amenorrhea (or absence of menses). You will then need to be investigated with a panel of hormone tests that would include (FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin). These tests will in most cases determine where the problem is.

Of note is the fact that an important cause of amenorrhea is purely psychological. A psychological trauma can lead to a direct decrease in hormone levels from the brain (hypothalamus and pituitary).

My best to you,
 amandamh10 - Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:24 am

Could this be because of all of the stress you have been under in the last 2 1/2 months? I know that if I freak out about if i'll get my period or not, it's just about always late. So maybe if you just try to relax or take your mind off of it, and under the circumstances i understand how that would be difficult, maybe it'll come.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us