Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Conceiving a Child

lil2krayzee - Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:57 am

My husband and I are trying to have a child. I am interested in knowing if sun exposure, or exposure to tanning beds will hurt our chances of conceiving? Also, when I do become pregnant, will either have a damaging effect on my fetus/child? :?: :?:
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:16 pm

User avatar At this time there are no solid studies on the effects of tanning beds and sun tanning on ovaries or the unborn child. The UV light used in tanning beds and the suns rays would injure if they touched but they do not reach the child, therefore your baby is not at risk but the heat can cause your body temperature to rise. Spray-on-tanning is another story, it is NOT advised, and as the tanning solution is applied this fine mist is being inhaled. Be sure and clear everything with your Physician prior to doing it.

During your pregnancy your doctor will advise you not to do anything that will raise your body's temperature, such as hot tubs, saunas, and tanning beds, laying in the sun, etc. Two important things to remember are to stay cool and drink plenty of fluids. You may also be advised not to lie on your back in your last trimester because this may cause your baby to become distressed due to the possibility of lowering the blood flow to the placenta. Just use common sense and make sure you are comfortable. It's always best to go with the motto, if you think it's not worth the risk then don't do it! Keep in contact with your Midwife or Physician during your pregnancy, this little life depends on you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us