Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Late Bloomer

Loser - Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:01 am

Hey all, thanks in advance for the attention. Anyways, my whole family has a history of late bloomers, big guys all growing at their late teenage years. My question is, im 17, just about when everyone started to grow. But i haven't yet, im about 5'6 and skinny so im pretty small for my age. But the thing is, i have had very little sexual growth at all, should i see a doctor about it? I really, really don't want to if it sounds like i don't have to, its really becoming a major problem in my life and im just wondering if usually you make these changes when your "growing" or did i kind of miss the boat. Anyways, hope you can make sense of all that please help me out with some advice on wether to just wait for my growth spurt or go see my doc, or anything that seems appropriate. Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:41 am

User avatar Hi Loser,
Although there are growth and development charts, expected timeframes for puberty etc., not everyones development can be determined by a "chart" or by someone elses development. During puberty when weight gain and height are demonstrated, it typically happens in "spurts". Male development, the testicles begin enlarging as well as the appearance of pubic hair. Generally speaking male sexual development continues for approximately 4 - 6 years in length and circumference after the testicles first begin enlarging. As always, it is important to have an evaluation by your physician to assure you are healthy etc. but relax, and don't become overly concerned at this point.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us