Forum Name: Fertility

Question: REALLY IMPORTANT REPLY ASAP PLEASE

Emma* - Tue May 02, 2006 7:19 pm

hi, I just began ortho-tricyclen birth control pills about 2 weeks ago, I read the insructions pamphlet carefully and I started on the day 5 start (5th day of my period). It said in the pamplet to use condoms for the first seven days of the pill just in case and then after the first seven days it was safe. The woman at the clinic told me to take 21 days beforer having sex without a condom but then iasked the clinic again and they said they just say to take 21 days because thats the general for all pills and because most teenage girls do not take their pills on time. But I have been taking my pills on time for 2 weeks now and it did say that its only necessary to use a condom for the first week. So is it safe for me to have sex without a condom when i have been taking them exactly on time for 2 weeks now and not have to wrry about pregnancy?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 03, 2006 8:52 am

User avatar Hi Emma*,
The clinic most likely instructed you on the use of birth control medication for 21 consecutive days prior to having intercourse without a condom due to the fact that they deal with birth control methods and pregnancies very frequently and may see a pattern of what occurs when back up protection is not used consistently during that three week cycle. If you look at it from the perspective that the timeframe is only an additional two weeks, and nothing is 100% positive in preventing pregnancy aside from abstinence, two more weeks really isn't that long of time.