Forum Name: Fertility

Question: TESTING FOR PREGNANCY

Melani - Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:43 am

When is the best time to do a hpt?

Although some people say you can detect hcg at least 5 days ovulation, what about people like me who aren;t sure when exactly they've ovulated ?
I read somewhere that its best to wait at least 6 weeks from my last period ?

Also, do you know if its possible to fall pg if you've had sexual intercourse outside of your fertile period ?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:42 am

User avatar The highest possible screening sensitivity for an hCG-based pregnancy test conducted on the first day of a missed period is 90 percent, as 10 percent of women may not have implanted yet. It is estimated that the highest possible screening sensitivity of a home pregnancy test by one week after the first day of the missed period is 97 percent (approximately 5 weeks from the last period).

If you have just ovulated, the earliest you can get a positive result on the most sensitive pregnancy tests is seven days after ovulation. Implantation needs to occur before hCG is produced, and that generally happens 10 days after. For this reason, it makes economical sense to wait until 10-12 days after ovulation, but even then a significant percentage of women who are indeed pregnant will still show a negative result.