Forum Name: Fertility

Question: no menstruation for 8 months!!!

wallsy - Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:40 am

I'm getting very worried at the moment because in december last year i went to see my family planning doctor and decided to go on the contraceptive injection (depo provera) i only had it done the once and decided not to go back, only now 8 months after i have had it done i still havent seen or had any signs of a period. Im 20 years old but could this still have made me infertile.
thank you for your help.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:53 am

User avatar Hi wallsy,
Amenorrhea (no menstrual cycle) may have various causes. Taking into consideration your other post in the Diabetes forum, in my opinion, I would be more inclined to consider that your menstrual irregularities may be related to insulin resistance as seen in PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) rather than being specifically related to one Depo-Provera injection. Again, I would encourage you to have an evaluation by an Endocrinologist.
 wallsy - Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:57 am

Thank you for your reply, it may have been the 3rd possibly the 4th time i was addmitted into hospital that i remember one of the doctors saying that i could have polycystic ovaries but saying this nothing further was said and i havent been tested. Could there be a reason for them not to send me for any tests at that time?
Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:52 am

User avatar Hi wallsy,
This syndrome is not easily diagnosed. A diagnosis of PCOS is typically based on several factors, ie, symptoms identified by physical exam, diagnostics (labwork, ultrasound), etc. There isn't one specific test used for identification. The only explanation I could think of for the lack of evaluation during your previous hospital stay is due to the fact that you were admitted specifically for Diabetic Ketoacidosis and their focus was to achieve control of that particular crisis. However, in my opinion, taking into consideration the frequency of your hospital admissions, referral to an Endocrinologist should have already been suggested and arranged. Below is a link for some information regarding PCOS, and again, I would encourage you to have an evaluation by an Endocrinologist.
pcos.htm" class="postlink">Click here!